Why do you have to market a fiverr gig?

Is it because not many people use fiverr to get their stuff done? Isn't marketing a gig tantamount to promoting the site itself without getting any special perks for that? Is it part of the sellers obligation to promote the site? Don't get me wrong, I'm just trying to understand how the site works.

Fiverr Guy

Administrator
Staff member
In a way, fiverr pushes its sellers to promote fiverr. Sure, you may be promoting the gig, but that's why you see all the videos say "Exclusively on fiverr." I don't know if fiverr had it written somewhere, or someone did it long ago, and as a result they got their gig featured and it led to more sales, so everyone decided to copy that format.

Either way, it's almost a necessary evil to advertise fiverr when you are advertising your gig. You never know who may be looking, and you may get your gig featured.

I'm guessing that fiverr doesn't pay for referrals to their site. If this is the case then I don't think that they should expect people who are advertising on their site to promote it as well since they're already making $1 off of each sale a gig makes.

Akiyama

The whole purpose of marketing your gig is to get more exposure to it and ultimately land more gigs out of it.

You can still get orders without marketing, but they definitely won't be as often. That's not to say that if you market your gigs you'll get more orders either. The trick is being smart about where you actually promote.

Hope this helps!

Akiyama

I market my Fiverr Giggs because I don't leave it all up to Fiverr to market my giggs for me. They get some exposure but I feel that If I do my part, that I will get more business. I usually post links on all of my social media networks. I even use facebook groups that are relevant to what I am doing to target traffic. The more the merrier.

Unless you market your gig, do not expect to get a lot sales from it. The site is now quite saturated with gigs that are the same and so obviously you have to make sure you reach clients before they get to Fiverr site where they might choose someone else to work for them.

Unless you market your gig, do not expect to get a lot sales from it. The site is now quite saturated with gigs that are the same and so obviously you have to make sure you reach clients before they get to Fiverr site where they might choose someone else to work for them.

Yep! If you just put up a brand new gig and expect people to flock to it, you're wrong. In fact, they're unlikely to even see your gig because they're going to be shown all the featured ones first....and then those with higher ratings or more established accounts, etc. In order to get built up, it's important to actually get exposure first and that's usually via marketing off-site first.